fasting, bad luck, & blessings

I mentioned in my last post that Scott and I were going to be experiencing our first time of fasting this month.  Our goal was to fast for 7 days....21 days is the norm for the Daniel Fast.

I'm here to tell you that fasting is something not to be taken lightly.  It requires commitment, determination, and endurance to see it through.  I'm happy to say that Scott and I stuck to our diet and gave it all we had.  And I'm not upset or disappointed that we decided to end our fast after the 4th day.

I'm sure you are wondering why since we were doing ok.  Well, the main reason is because of the severity of the headaches we were having....even on the fourth day.  It's normal to have headaches from caffeine withdrawal, and we expected that.  But we didn't count on the cold weather fronts coming through our area that always trigger migraines for me.  I was having to take medicine EVERY day to be able to even function.  And I was running out of medicine.  Do you know how it feels to have migraines and nothing to take for them?  That's not a good feeling!

Scott doesn't have migraines, but he doesn't have the luxury of conveniently eating his meals at regular times throughout the day either (he works for the railroad).  Sometimes when they are working, he doesn't even have a chance to eat lunch.  Because he was staying in a hotel out of town working last week, it was especially hard on him physically.  His head hurt so bad every day that it was hard for him to work at all.  I think the biggest problem was that he wasn't able to get enough food in his body at any time to overcome the headaches.

I've always heard people say that when you are fasting, you should pray when you are hungry and turn to scripture for encouragement.  I agree with that, but I also say that when your work requires lots of physical labor and you aren't your own boss, you don't always have the luxury to study the Word at any given time.  You can pray any time, but isn't the goal of fasting to spend even more time with God in prayer and scripture?  And when you are physically ill from fasting, it's hard enough just trying to function with what you have to do.

Long story short......we didn't get the benefits from fasting that we were seeking.  I won't say that I didn't feel God's presence at all because I did.  And for me that was huge because I've felt like I've been wandering around in a dessert for a few months. I've not mentioned it on here, but I'll be talking about that some time soon and what the Lord revealed to me during my 4 day fast.  But because of the migraines and my work schedule, I didn't find more time than normal to study scripture.  But I haven't given up on that.  I'm about to start a 8 week Bible study of my own and I'm looking forward to hearing what God has to say to me.....with a cup of coffee in my hand [grin]. That was the hardest thing to fast!

In other news.............

You could call it bad luck or you could say what Scott said....."Funny how this started happening after we came off our fast early".  But last Thursday was a very trying day around here.

Thursday morning at 5:30 am, all three of the smoke detectors in the back of our house by our bedrooms started beeping.  All three of them!  With the first beep, Lucy was wigged out!  She didn't know what it was and was scared to death.

Scott was still out of town and Dillan had come home for a couple of days since he was working nearby that week so it woke him up too.  I got up and changed all the batteries and they still kept beeping.  I had to put Lucy in the bed with Dillan and shut the door to try to quiet the sound some for her.  For some reason there's not a detector in Dillan's room, but in the hall outside his room.  Anyway, I couldn't go back to sleep after that, so I was sleep deprived all day.

On my way to visit some clients later that morning, Dillan called and we had no water in the house.  With the freezing temps, the water had frozen up at the well and he couldn't take a shower.  He had to head back toward Atlanta that morning for a photo shoot, so that put him in tail spin.  He had to go next door to my cousin's house and shower (thanks, Hollie!), but he made it to the shoot on time.

Photo by We Do Photography
Scott and I both got back home later that afternoon and he got the water back running and fixed the smoke detectors.  We thought that was the end to our bad day and hard week.  But things got much worse that night around 8:45 pm.  Dillan's car broke down in the 20 degree freezing weather on I75 on his way back to Atlanta from the photoshoot.  An hour from his apartment and 2 hours from us, we were a bit concerned about how to get him warm and safe quickly.  It's bad enough to be stranded on 75, but in freezing weather?  Needless to say I was concerned. But I kept my head and thanks to iphones, Dillan knew the closest towing service to call.  The problem was that they couldn't get to him for an hour.  We stayed on the phone with him off and on until a friend in Macon could get to him. Sterling was the closest person to him....about 30-40 minutes (thank you again, Sterling!).  As God would have it, she arrived right before the tow truck, so we didn't have to worry about leaving his car unattended on the side of the road either.  They towed it to a garage in Atlanta and so we'll be waiting on a verdict Monday some time.

We are so thankful and blessed that Dillan wasn't hurt during all of this.  He had to get through two or three lanes of traffic to make it to the side of the road.  Can you imagine being stranded IN the middle of 75?!  An even scarier part is when he told me he accidentally cut a guy off trying to get to the side of the road.  That guy pulled over ahead of him and got out and "cussed" at him. I'm so thankful that he got back in his car and left.  If he had touched my child......I don't even want to think about that!

So.  As you can see, it's been a week of sorts!  But God is good and we are all ok.  The timing of the beeping smoke alarms, freezing water, and car problem was not a punishment from God for not fasting a whole week.  Now, it could quite possibly have been Satan scheming and plotting, but he didn't win. God protected Dillan and continually provides for me and my family in the midst of beeping smoke alarms, lack of sleep, no water, and broke down vehicles.  My God never sleeps.  He is always watching and knows what is happening in our lives.  He sees our hearts and hears our prayers.

No comments: