2/6/14

Project: deer antler plaques



I had so much fun working on my last project for the living room!  After we bought our new flat screen television and antique buffet to hold it, I was left with alot of blank wall space above the television that needed to be filled in.  The shape of the television and the large painting of Custer's Last Stand were competing for attention.  I knew I had to do something to break up the square shapes on the wall and I had a deer mount at the top of the wall that I knew I wanted to stay put.  I searched Pinterest and some of my favorite blogs, and this is what I came up with.




Here's how I made my deer antler plaques:

I picked out two sets of horns from the garage.  Yes, we're like the indians of the wild, wild west who saved scalps from their kill.  I've saved all the antlers of every buck we've killed....and I'd like to add that most of them are mine :)  Other than the horns, all I needed were some small wood plaques to mount them on, fabric, and spray paint.  In this picture, you see a square wood plaque, but I ended up purchasing oval ones to break up the space better.  


The first step was to spray the horns.  They turn white when left outside for a long time, so I could've kept that same color and just sprayed over them with a high gloss white spray.  

Like the ones we made for Dillan's loft:

But my living room decor can't swing alot of white right now, so I elected to spray them a mixture of bronze and gold.  I wanted the base to be the darker color, so I found an old rag and covered the top parts of the horns while spraying.  Fancy tool, I know...ha!


Here's what it looked like with just the bottom sprayed

And then there were two!  By the way, I didn't want the horns to match exactly in shape and size, just to be a similar size.  I kind of like the quirkiness of the crooked horns.  As the Nester would say, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!"


After the bottoms dried, I covered them in a like manner and sprayed the gold on the rest.



Originally, I thought about using burlap fabric to cover the bases, but quickly decided I needed something more flexible.  And....animal prints are so in right now and I had this beautiful piece of fabric left from some pillow I had made for Dillan's futon in his apartment.

You can read all about that decorating project here.  



So, by trial and error, I cut two pieces to fit the bases and applied with hot glue.


Aren't they cute?  Something about them reminds me of Aang's flying bison in Avatar: The Last Airbender


Scott had already stained the wood plaques for me before I needed them.  He used the same stain we have on other pieces in the room, so there was no expense for that at all.  And of course, he attached the horns to the wood plaques for me as well using a screw.  They are hung on the wall with simple saw tooth picture hangers.  


And there you have it!  A quick, easy, and inexpensive project to fill in a large wall.





I'm sharing this project at Inspire Me Tuesday and Imparting Grace 

1 comment:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

You are so clever. I love how you mounted them, they look fabulous. Great idea. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty